Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Invisible Man...reality or alternate reality? A Baker Street Universe character insight.

I don't think that anyone of my generation who saw this movie forgot very easily the outcome of science that has been misused, anymore than this generation will forget the amok science of fuel sources which is driving our planet to the brink of ruin climatically now.

Claude Rains was an incredible actor, delivering one fine performance after another, and this one, though a horror movie essentially and a warning about the misuse of science and drugs, still delivered a knockout punch to those lucky enough to have seen it.

I have deliberately chosen to acknowledge the strength of this character in my own series of stories, because I believe that if Professor Langdon, my version of the Invisible Man, is not driven by the needs to prove himself, or egomanical needs for power, but rather a benign and gentlemanly desire to improve the lot of those about him.

Just because his science backfires on him, doesn't mean he has to choose to become evil. Even those stricken by the worst of cirucmstances can choose between good and evil. It happens every day in our lives, when we choose to break someone's heart or to accept them in a loving way.

Because the Baker Street Universe is based on the Victorian Age of England, though enhanced with a Teslian driven science, which parallels more modern science fiction and its use of steam punk, that England had very solid manners when it came to dealing with crime and horror. Though not all was perfect, my more idealized version deals with crime quite seriously, while at the same time its keepers of the law maintain their sanity and integrity, which does not occur so much in the real world. Our world.

In May I will be examining the Invisible Man in depth, as I complete my examination of Sherlock Holmes and his alternate replica.

Enjoy.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment